Saturday, June 15, 2013

Humber Cosmetic and Fashion Students Work With Shemar Moore


By: Bethany King
ALLISON DIMANO
PHOTO CREDIT: NICK LINK
Baby Girl is a clothing line created and developed by model/actor Shemar Moore. The concept is from his work on Criminal Minds. He always refers to his co-star “Garcia” as Baby Girl. The line is a 60’s inspired casual wear of shorts, V necks, tanks and dresses. Moore’s mother is diagnosed with MS and all proceeds go towards finding a cure.

PHOTO CREDIT: NICK LINK
I was originally asked to model in the shows, and then offered my services to help plan and coordinate the shows because of my education in fashion. I recruited some class mates and also some cosmetics students to come work the events. I saw this as an opportunity to give Humber fashion students some real experience working in field for a celebrity client. It’s important for us as students trying to break into the fashion industry to learn how to network and make connections early in our education so that we can get the jobs we want. I have some experience in project management and fashion show coordinating but this was the first time I was really in charge of so many people. My contact worked closely with the client while I ran the production backstage.

PHOTO CREDIT: NICK LINK
Rashan Sproul, Michelle Novak, Allison Dimano, Lydia Nguyen, and myself were involved from the Fashion Arts program. Danielle Francis, Riley Javellana, Alisha Bowden, and Ayanna Christmas were involved from the Cosmestics Management program. The most difficult part of the experience was trying to organize more then twenty people to all come together and act professionally although we were in a club setting. 

BETHANY KING
PHOTO CREDIT: NICK LINK
During these past few weeks my knowledge of cosmetics and cosmetology terms has really developed. Scouting cosmetics student and hiring certified cosmetologists has forced me to think about makeup concepts (“mood or theme”), tools and techniques, call times and styling. I received very positive feedback from Moore's management about the involvement of Humber’s cosmetic and fashion students and they have been asked to continue working with the brand Baby Girl. The best is yet to come. 

Thank you to Nick Link for his photographic coverage of the event. 

No comments:

Post a Comment